Phonics Staff Training
What will be taught?
I hear—I forget, I see—I learn, I do—I understand
Phonics is a systematic method for teaching children to read and write, showing the relationship between written letters of the alphabet and the sounds of spoken language.
Learn a range of play-based phonics activities.
- Your understanding of phonics
- Letters and sounds
- Help children develop physical skills for writing
- Your role in supporting children’s phonic development
- Planning effective phonics activities
- Phonics good practice
Duration: 2.5 hours
Who should attend: All practitioners
Level: Phases 1 & 2
Venue: Your premises (or we can arrange a suitable location)
Handouts: These shall be provided on the day to all delegates
Max No. of Delegates: 10
Cancellation Policy: ALL CANCELLATIONS MUST BE MADE 7 CALENDAR DAYS PRIOR TO THE COURSE START DATE OR CANCELLATION CHARGES WILL APPLY.
What the delegates will gain?
At the end of the course the delegates will have:
- a clearer understanding of the principles underpinning the Letters & Sounds documentation
- an understanding of phonics from an EAL perspective
- a training pack that contains:
- practical ideas
- useful resources
- phonics terminology
- Jolly Phonics information
- Read Write Inc handwriting rhymes and characters
- lesson structure & assessment
- the opportunity to plan a session and ask questions in a fun and friendly environment
- the opportunity to analyse OFSTED reports and observations made on the teaching of letters and sounds in various settings
Practitioner, ABC Day Nursery
I now have the confidence to apply what I have learnt today to children within my care.
The course was very interactive and fun and therefore I found that I had learnt allot more than if it was just a course that provided handouts. I thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of it.
Why choose us?
- We visit you at your setting beforehand to find out your focus as a nursery/childminder and staff needs.
- We tailor our training session to meet the needs of your setting. We can deliver twilight sessions and/or day sessions depending on your needs.
- The course is open to as many delegates as you wish to send and can be run over a series of sessions.
- Our training opens up the world of synthetic phonics and the integration of the letters and sounds documentation, focusing on activities and ideas for phase one (Aspects 1-7, with a focus on alliteration, blending and segmenting) phase two (Introducing letters and their sounds) and phase 3 (tricky words/high-frequency words).
- On completion of training delegates will receive a certificate of attendance for their CPD files.
- We can also visit your setting post-training to work alongside staff in planning, delivering and assessment.